The Struts 1.0 ActionServlet stores a number of elements in Application
scope.

        // Publish our internal collections as necessary
        getServletContext().setAttribute(Action.FORM_BEANS_KEY,
formBeans);
        getServletContext().setAttribute(Action.FORWARDS_KEY, forwards);
        getServletContext().setAttribute(Action.MAPPINGS_KEY, mappings);

So, it's really not really threading issues (mispoke), but the last
ActionServlet would win when it came to the Application scope elements.
The custom tag extensions look to these to retrieving the ActionForwards
and what not.

Check for these statics in utils.RequestUtils, and you will see what I
mean.

Of course, if you are not using the custom tags, then it may not matter.

-- Java Web Development with Struts.
-- Tel +1 585 737-3463.
-- Web http://www.husted.com/struts/