Keith wrote:

>Users can't get at anything under web-inf by name. So it stops them running
>your jsp directly or viewing their source code.
>They still work because they can be referenced by a Sevlet (ie the struts
>ActionServlet). (not all servers are the same here).
>It's a 'rule' for commercial/senstive sites that every reference from the
>browser is a symbolic ref. (eg. a webapp + a ref. to an entry in
>struts-config.xml). This stops hackers/spies from viewing js source or even
>knowing directory names or file names.
>Looks like paranoia but I guess people have been burned.
>A few years ago you could get at server directory listing from browsers & steal
>files but these days this also is blocked. It's geting really boring...
>

>--- James Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Question?
>>
>>What is the point of putting jsp pages in web-inf?
>>

>>Someone please correct me if I am wrong but,
>>
>>If I see a web application URL such as
>>http://www.someweb.com/myapp/web-inf/somedir/mypage.jsp then I can only
>>assume that I can also go to
>>
>>http://www.someweb.com/myapp/web-inf/web.xml
>>or
>>http://www.someweb.com/myapp/web-inf/classes/ (god forbid that you have
>>"directory browsing" enabled, then I could read your database connection
>>login and passwords (if avaialable, such as poolman.xml) or any of your
>>resource bundle files.
>>
>>Or worse, I could download your .class and .jar files.
>>

>>P.S. Did you actually click on those links?  They won't work because I made
>>them up:-)
>>

>>James Mitchell
>>Software Engineer
>>Open-Tools.org
>>Home Phone (770) 822-3359

Hi you may believe this is wrong albiet i have been briefed that the
WEB-INF is accessable if you are running the service under W$ NT thus
your classes,jsp and beans etc can be viewed. Apparently NT4 does not
know the difference between Web-Inf ,WEB-INF or web-inf . thus this may
now have  been rectified. Please let me know otherwise.

Note "Could be the case of careless whispers"

Cheers Chuck Amadi
Systems Programmer.