I haven't found the solution I will use yet to solve this problem
in my own project, so advice would definitely be helpful.

I found a taglibrary that purports to do this (at http://jsptags.com)

http://www.sqlt.com/taglib.html

I have not investigated using it just yet though. I think even
writing one's own tag to format dates and numbers should be easy
enough: just extend the bean:write tag to support a format
attribute and use the existing java formatting capabilities
(SimpleDateFormat, NumberFormat).

Doing arbitrary String masking would be cool too (typical
example is phone number formatting, currency formatting,
but I also have additional requirements). Does anyone know
of a taglib that does this kind of thing?

Vlad