From: Pruthee, Ranjan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, May 03, 2002 3:25 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: RE: Forms Beans and DAO (Best Practices)

In general, I use the Struts action classes as proxies to my business objects and my
business objects serve as proxies to my data access objects and I pass data across
tiers using DTO  (DataTransportObject [use to be ValueObject]).  In this fashion, I
can keep my business logic reusable in say a Java
Swing client as well as an HTML client. IMO, I would not access DAO (data access
objects) directly in the Struts ction classes. This means you would have to manage
transaction boundries (getting JDBC connection or JDO PersistanceManager) in your web
tier where as it would probably be better to isolate these details to your business
tier. We don't use EJB, so the general data flow is as follows:

Client ===> XXXXAction ===> BusinessObject ===> DataAccessObject(s) ===> Database

This keeps BusinessObjects resuseable among XXXXAction classes and DAO objects
reusable in BusinessObjects. The BusinessObject manages the transaction boundries and
the DAO just uses the JDBC connection. We maintain all SQL as static final Strings in
the DAO's. (reduces object creation) The BusinessObjects and DAO don't maintain any
state, so they are singletons. (reduces object creation)

So for example if I wanted to retrieve and display a customer list.

1. Client sends HTTP request

2. Struts delegates request to ShowCustomersAction

3. ShowCustomersAction delegates to CustomerBO

4. CustomerBO starts a transaction

5. CustomerBO delegates to CustomerDAO

6. CustomerDAO executes the query and gets results

7. CustomerDAO maps results into a collection of CustomerDTO

(DataTransportObject)

8. CustomerDAO returns collection to CustomerBO

9. CustomerBO ends transaction

10. CustomerBO returns collection to ShowCustomerAction

11. ShowCustomersAction places the connection in the HttpServletRequest as

an attribute

12. ShowCustomersAction forwards to showCustomersView (some jsp)

13. ShowCustomersView accesses customer collection using a custom tag

14. ShowCustomersView renders customer list

 PS. If we did switch to using EJB, then the BusinessObjects become BusinessDelegates
to actual EJBs and  nothing in the web tier has to change and both DAOs and DTOs can
be reused.