From: "Sri Sankaran" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 2:53 PM
Subject: Struts + Tiles: Design Question

> Struts version: 1.0.2
> Servlet engine: Tomcat 4.0.2
>
> I am trying to build a wizard framework using Tiles.  It follows the
standard Windows wizard metaphor with a body panel and navigation buttons
below.  I am running into a problem and would like any opinions/suggestions.

> A logical use of Tiles would call for the body and nav buttons to be
separate tiles that are combined using the tileDefinitions file.  For
example:

>   <definition name="Wizard" path="/wizardLayout.jsp">
>     <put name="title"            value="Title.jsp"/>
>     <put name="body"          value=""/>
>     <put name="navigation"   value="Nav.jsp"/>
>   </definition>
>
>   <!-- Intro page -->
>   <definition name="Intro" extends="Wizard">
>     <put name="body"            value="workflow/intro/intro.jsp"/>
>   </definition>
>
> Here, the wizardLayout.jsp is solely responsible, as the name suggests,
for laying out the various tiles using necessary HTML tags.

> The problem with this strategy is that by separating the body and nav into
separate tiles limits the use of the Struts <html:form> tag.  Firstly, the
begin and end form tag must be in the same JSP.  This prevents the tag from
beginning in the 'body' tile and ending in the 'navigation' tile.  There are
other complications, even if I'm willing to compromise the design and place
the <html:form> tag in the layout page (wizardLayout.jsp above).  This would
require some convoluted JavaScript that sets the form's action attribute on
each page.

> The only workaround I have found is to have the body & the navigation in
the same tile; in other words -- not have a 'navigation' tile at all.  This
has a serious shortcoming in that it forces every body panel (i.e. every
page in the wizard) to have knowledge of layout and therefore responsible
for its maintenance.

> I really like the concept of Tiles and would love to use it to its
fullest.  Do you have any suggestions?  Am I missing something fundamental?