Hello All,

I had a few questions that perturb me as to why DAO is so widely used:

1.      Some articles say it prevents the locking of DB tables, but we
are never guaranteed that our data isn't dirty with the DB, and
therefore, all application transactions are still executed against the
DB.

2.      Rule number one for selects is to only select the data you need.
If I'm populating or pulling beans, more often than not, DAO
implementations that I've seen pull out all columns from a table to
populate their beans.

3.      Thus far, the only advantage I've seen is on Row Gateway selects
(public BeanObject select( Long primarykey )).  Are there any others?

If anyone can offer some insight on this, it would be greatly
appreciated; I'm hurting myself on my current project with extensive DAO
implementations that are shooting me in the foot at every turn with the
requirements for specialized business logic.

Best Regards,
Jake Hookom

---