Just messing with this myself. I'm not sure if it's an issue with the
Servlet/JSP spec or the container (I'm using WLS 6.1.2), but I would
have expected that an exception thrown from a servlet would get dumped
into the request. It looks like you need to hang on to the exception
and explicitly add it to the request yourself. Here's the basic idea:

import javax.servlet.jsp.PageContext;
ServletException exc;
request.setAttribute(PageContext.EXCEPTION, exc);
throw(exc);

D.O.Tech       <http://www.dotech.com/>