Fabrice and Hemant

I had this problem too but I overcame it the hard way. Many a times, its the
IDE that causes this kinda confusion.

Here is what I did, I wrote a startup servlet that starts up logging ,
creates the connection pools via poolman, and loads a few other things.

step1: I loaded this startup servlet "prior" to loading the Action
Servlet.Please see my web.xml below: (<load-on-startup> number )
step2: Remove log4j property files from your webapp. Let it pick it up from
your IDE environment. (I mean C:/program files/ibm/visual age /yada/yada)
step3: Make sure your WEB-INF/lib has the latest struts libraries.

But yes, it was almost insulting that the LOG4J error would  baffle us like
that.

LOL

later...
hemant

//-----------------------------------------------------
<web-app>
  <servlet>
    <servlet-name>action</servlet-name>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>debug</param-name>
      <param-value>2</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>config</param-name>
    </init-param>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>application</param-name>
      <param-value>blah.blah...........ApplicationResources</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>detail</param-name>
      <param-value>2</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>validate</param-name>
      <param-value>true</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <load-on-startup>2</load-on-startup>
  </servlet>

 <!--Startup Manager-->

    <servlet>
      <servlet-name>mpi_startup_manager</servlet-name>
      <servlet-class>blah.blah............StartupManager</servlet-class>
      <init-param>
        <param-name>LOG4J_CONFIG</param-name>
        <param-value>/blah/.blah.........../log4j.properties</param-value>
      </init-param>
      <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
    </servlet>