Adrian,

I've used WebObjects since it's 3.5 release (1998ish).  Over the last 18
months or so, I've had various consulting gigs, many porting from a
WebObjects to J2EE app servers.

The meat and potatoes of WebObjects is EOF (object mapping framework) and
WOF (dynamic html generation framework).  EOF is an extremely powerful O/R
mapping framework that has been around way before the internet boom started.
It was originally written in Objective C and later ported to Java.  One of
EOF's major criticisms is it's learning curve.  You really need some time to
get your head around it.

I suppose WOF is comparable to struts.  Same idea, but very different
design.  Actually, the only people I ever heard complain about the
limitations of struts are WebObjects developers.  Once you are familiar with
WOF, you can get a lot done quickly.

Another major criticism is it's IDEs (ProjectBuilder and WOBuilder).  If you
spend enough time under the covers, you quickly realize that Apple spent
most of it's time developing is frameworks....and a lot less time on it's
IDEs.  In most organizations, it's the 'higher ups' that make decision on
which app server to use.  These are the type of people that are impressed
auto method selection features with IDEs instead of the stuff that's behind
it.

I would suggest looking to WO a little further.  Depending on your
situation, it can be a very productive tool.

One a side note, my experiences porting WebObjects applications to J2EE has
been sobering.  I've often been astonished the amount of code that has to be
written to solve the same problem.  :-|

Cheers,
Eric

http://mobile.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Messenger for SMS
- Now send & receive IMs on your mobile via SMS

For additional commands, e-mail:

This message, including any attachments, contains confidential information intended
for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all
copies.  You are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this
TIAA-CREF