From: Day, Michael-IBM/TT [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2002 10:49 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: [OT] XML Configuration Files

I'm working on an application that will use a database extensively.  In
order to save some database hits, I'd like to offload some smaller bits of
information into XML files.

An example would be shipping methods.  There is a limited number of shipping
methods that a company could use.  I would like to define these in an XML
file during deployment.  When the application starts up, I'd like all fo the
shipping methods to be loaded from the XML file into memory.  By doing this,
I save the database hits everytime the application needs to access the
different shipping methods.

Does anyone have any suggestions on an existing API that does this.  I'm
sure something must be out there to assist developers that want to parse XML
configuration data for their applications.  Once I have this, what is the
best way to have this information loaded on startup?  I am thinking of
creating a singleton that manages the different shipping methods.  Do better
methods exist?

Thanks for any help.