Just quickly thinking it over ...

When your form submits, you're going to hit an action.  Your action is
going to look and see what the user told you they wanted to do and act
appropriately.  Now, that doesn't help you keep the form from being
populated, but you can certainly keep from updating your persistent
storage using this information - and know that, instead, you should
request fresh data to repopulate the form with.  I like to rename my
buttons to something like "action" or "userAction" - and give all of
them the same name - so I can judge off the value of that parameter what
the user is telling me they'd like to have happen.

That's my "spontaneous, first-cut" answer.  I can't think of a way to
circumvent the population ...

--
Eddie Bush