Bah!  Your web.xml - not your server.xml.  I know what I'm talking
about, I'm just experiencing technical difficulties in the broadcasting
department! LOL

Your web.xml holds all your role data and constraints, so using
traditional CMA, you'd have to modify that file and restart the app
every time you added a project.  If that's a good solution for you
(projects don't get added often) then it may be the easiest, most
straight-forward way to go about it.  I suspect you'll find that less
than ideal though - and I believe the filter/wrapper approach would fit
the ticket.

--
Eddie Bush