If you're set on zero-copy, CachedRowSet is probably the best way to go. There is an OS implementation on sourceforge, I believe. Vic uses it in basicPortal - that is his approach as well.

Personally, I use OJB. If you're trying to cut out all the "overhead" you can CachedRowSet would probably be the way to go though (minimalistic). One of the neat things about the CRS approach is that you can actually ask the RowSet to update itself, and provide it a connection it will use to do so - so you can have transactional control over it. At the same time, being cached (disconnected), it does not require you to keep anything "open" (connection/statement/<insert JDBC thing here>), so you can follow better, more straight-forward practices by using it.

--
Eddie Bush