Andrew Hill wrote:

Quite a long time ago my colleagues fiddled with my Tomcat installation to
make something work. Dont know what they did, but a side effect of this was
they they killed the logging for struts.

Ive been ignoring this for ages (since I tend to use System.out for
debugging my stuff)

shame-shame!  <shake-finger target="Andrew 'System.out' Hill" />

however now that Im trying to use Digester I need to be
able to log stuff again...

I get the following in my console window at startup & again when I try to
use digester in my plugin class:
<snip>
log4j:ERROR No appenders could be found for category
(org.apache.commons.digester.Digester).
log4j:ERROR Please initialize the log4j system properly.
</snip>

log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG,A1
log4j.appender.A1=org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender
log4j.appender.A1.layout.ConversionPattern=%-4r [%t] %-5p %c %x - %m%n

Do you have similar lines in your log4j.properties file? (You have this file, right? ... in WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties?)

I am absolutely clueless in regards to how this logging stuff works (other
than that it doesnt)

LOL :-)

and would appreciate some times on how to initialise it
"properly" - right now I dont even know how to initialise it improperly :-(!

You don't really have to initialize it. What you DO have to do is have a configuration file. For tips on using commons-logging in *your* code see the user guide online. For resolving this, try making sure you have the above information where I mentioned.

Hopefully that fixes you up - I hate "broke" Andrews ;-)

--
Eddie Bush