Ok I am still getting an error, the error is:

javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: No getter method available for property
getLocationValues for bean under name null

here is the code form the class that extends ActionForm

  private ArrayList getDataValues(String sql, String varaible)
  {

    ArrayList list = new ArrayList();

    Connection conn = null;
    Statement stmt = null;
    ResultSet rs = null;

    ServletContext context = servlet.getServletContext();
    DataSource dataSource = (DataSource)
context.getAttribute(Action.DATA_SOURCE_KEY);

    try
    {

      conn = dataSource.getConnection();
      stmt = conn.createStatement();
      rs = stmt.executeQuery(sql);

      while(rs.next())
      {
        System.out.println("here");
        String value = rs.getString(varaible);
        list.add(value);
      }

    }
    catch(Exception e)
    {
      System.out.println("ERROR GETTING NUMBER  "+e);
    }
    finally
    {
      if(rs != null)
      {
        try
        {
          rs.close();
        }
        catch(SQLException e)
        {
          System.out.println(e.getMessage());
        }
        rs = null;
      }
      if(stmt != null)
      {
        try
        {
          stmt.close();
        }
        catch(SQLException e)
        {
          System.out.println(e.getMessage());
        }
        stmt = null;
      }
      if(conn != null)
      {
        try
        {
          conn.close();
        }
        catch(SQLException e)
        {
          System.out.println(e.getMessage());
        }
        conn = null;
      }
    }

    return(list);
  }

  public ArrayList getLocationValues()
  {
    ArrayList values = new ArrayList();
    String sql = "select id from locations";
    values = getDataValues(sql, "id");

    return(values);
  }

  public ArrayList getLocationLables()
  {
    ArrayList lables = new ArrayList();
    String sql = "select location from locations";
    lables = getDataValues(sql, "location");

    return(lables);
  }

here is the code from the jsp

labelProperty="getLocationLables"/>

What am I doing wrong?  I am very confused. Please help

Tim Bachta
Information Technology
MC 48
816-997-7137

                      "edgar"

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      .net>                    cc:

                                               Subject:  RE: select and option tag
issues
                      11/08/2002 08:08

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      "Struts Users

                      Mailing List"

In your form create two ArrayLists one for the values, one for the
labels.  If the data doesn't change much you can make them static.
Create getter methods for them which populate the arraylists from you
database (make sure you populate them in the same order so the labels
correspond to the values.  Then in your jsp do

labelProperty='arraylistoflabels' />

If you have really static stuff you can stick the above arraylists in
the session or the context and use

labelName='attributevaluename' />

Hope this helps.

Edgar