If only one catalogBuyerIDType can be selected, the easiest way is to use
radio buttons instead of check boxes.
In your form, the attribute corresponding to the radio buttons can be a
simple String (and not an array of Strings) because only one value can be
selected at once.

So, in your initialization action:
CatalogProfileDataForm catalogProfileDataForm = (CatalogProfileDataForm)
form;
catalogProfileDataForm.setCatalogBuyerIDType("99");

and in your JSP:

The radio button with value="99" will be selected into the JSP, and after
submission of the form, the property catalogBuyerIDType will contain the
value that corresponds to the selected radio button.

Best regards
Patrice