I am having a problem with the following design.

In my jsp, i'm using the <html:submit> tag with property="action",
but I find that when I want to cancel, I can't prevent the
RequestProcessor
from trying to copy the request form values into a new DynaActionForm.
The problem is that when cancelling, some of the values may be invalid,
but since I don't want to validate, this can throw an exception when
auto
conversions are attempted (that don't succeed) to populate the bean. For
example, if I leave the birthDate field blank, I get:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
        at java.sql.Date.valueOf(Date.java:100)
        at
org.apache.commons.beanutils.converters.SqlDateConverter.convert(SqlDate
Converter.java:157)

I guess this is a consequence of the action mapping I've got below. I
really only require the form for update and delete, but not for cancel.

How can I fix this?

Thanks!
Pete

=====

  <form-beans>
    <form-bean name="detailForm"
               dynamic="true"
               type="org.apache.struts.validator.DynaValidatorForm">
      <form-property name="firstName" type="java.lang.String" />
      <form-property name="lastName" type="java.lang.String" />
      <form-property name="birthDate" type="java.sql.Date" />
    </form-bean>
  </form-beans>

    <action path="/famnetProcess"
type="com.cyberpete.famnet.struts.ProcessAction"
                                  name="detailForm"
                                  scope="request"
                                  validate="false"
                                  parameter="action">
      <forward name="update" path="/famnetUpdate.do" />
      <forward name="delete" path="/famnetDelete.do" />
      <forward name="cancel" path="/famnetCancel.do" />
    </action>