> >>That would be the past IMO. Apache HTTP and Cocon and similar
> >>are PITA.
> >>
> >>... you can publish static text from Struts like this:
> >>- Store XML content in a db field. (from user input or RSS feed).
> >>- XSLT it and cache HTML cache in a db field.
> >>Or many variations such as Styxx browser side.
> >>
> >>You can now approve it, secure it, WIKI it, RSS feed it,
> >>count clicks,
> >>find matching advertisements to display, display it in a
> struts tile
> >>that users can move around like my.netscape.com.
> >>
> >>I would say it is a good practice to use Struts with XML for
> >>delivery of
> >>static and dynamic content.
> >

> > Cocoon is great if your input is already XML.
> > Cocoon is a fully-XML framework.
> > And its cache management can't be beat.
> >

> The problem I'm facing is that I don't want to put xml
> documents inside
> a database. This because the fact that there are a lot of
> documents in
> various formats. So we want to convert those documents to
> XML. And use
> cocoon to publish those documents. Plus those documents are
> written by
> people using their average wordprocessor or in the futere a
> wordprocessor which can do XML. We don't want them to feed a Database.
>
> But another part of the website is an application which will
> be written
> with struts. Now I don't think it is a solution to XML the
> output from
> struts (I just understant the struts-tag libraries and the
> struts-layout
> library, I don't want to learn XSP/XForms etc yet) and render it with
> cocoon.
>
> What is wrong with using struts and cocoon mixed together.
> For me it's
> just a few extra steps to forward an struts action to JSP page that
> produces XML output which will be forwarded to cocoon.
> Especially when
> it is an form where users have to provide input which needs to be
> processed by a struts action.
>
> On the other side I think it's worthwile when a result of a struts
> action is a XML document, is to render that document with cocoon. So
> levering the power of both frameworks.
>
> Question is if it is possible to render part's of a page with
> struts and
>   another part with cocoon which are combined within a
> tiles-definition.

I am not sure I get exactly your problem.
First of all, you can share the same webapp between Struts and Cocoon.
Struts could handle all front-end URLs, the controller part of the job,
the model view and even some of the view job.
And the XML part of the job (rendering XML, aggregating datas...) can be
done by Cocoon.

Simply say that URLs beginning with cocoon/* are handled by Cocoon servlet.

Then you use those URL patterns whenever you need them.

For example you can do:

Struts must display a HTML+formatted XML page for URL foobar.do
It does it with a JSP that displays the HTML part and makes an include
for the result of request to /cocoon/foobar.2html which will be handled
by Cocoon.

Or you can do the opposite (that's what I would do, cause I know nothing
at JSP including the result of a HTTP request).
So the main URL would be handled by Cocoon (let's say /cocoon/foobar.do)
and it would aggregate two generators: the static HTML part + the result
of request to /cocoon/foobar2.html. you could then make a XSL to format
both parts together and it's done.

Is it clear?

This e-mail is intended only for the above addressee. It may contain
privileged information. If you are not the addressee you must not copy,
distribute, disclose or use any of the information in it. If you have
received it in error please delete it and immediately notify the sender.
Security Notice: all e-mail, sent to or from this address, may be
accessed by someone other than the recipient, for system management and
security reasons. This access is controlled under Regulation of
Investigatory Powers Act 2000, Lawful Business Practises.