I'm in the process of designing a single web app to support two different client
types: HTML and VoiceXML. Yes, yes, I know, XSLT is just the ticket. That was my
initial take at least, but I'd like to bounce some things off the Struts hive
before committing to it. To add some context, I'll be deploying on a full J2EE
1.3 platform, so things like servlet filters and JSTL get to play. I'm also
aware of existing XML/XSLT solutions like Cocoon, stxx, and StrutsCX and have
done some preliminary investigation of each. The application itself is generally
form/data driven. The major issues I'm currently spinning on are the following:

What do the existing solutions offer that I couldn't do with JSTL and relatively
simple filters? For instance, my JSPs might just become:

<x:transform xslt="${dynamicallyAssignedBasedOnUserAgent}">
  <!-- body specifies XML document and transform params -->
</x:transform>

How difficult would it be to duplicate the functionality of the Struts html and
nested tags? Those tags do a lot of work on a page author's behalf with respect
to handling form rendering, indexed form bean properties, transaction tokens,
URL encoding, etc. If the app is just dumping XML, then it seems like the XSLT
styleheets could get pretty hairy. I suppose the Struts tags could still be used
to output XHTML fragments which might make the transforms less painful.

If you've got some specific insight into those issues, or would just like to
share your approach to using Struts for apps that support multiple client types,
I'd love to hear about it. Thanks.

D.O.Tech       <http://www.dotech.com/>