From: Chalmers, Doug
Sent: 22 ?????? 2003 ?. 10:24
To: Struts User
Subject: Russian I18n problems

Hi all,

I have a problem which isn't strictly Struts related but I'm hoping someone has done
this before. (Thanks to Craig McClanahan and Aaron Rustad for their help so far on
this.)

I'm trying to get a Russian version of an existing application working. So far, I've
set up Russian text resources and these work fine by specifying the following line at
the top of the JSP (at the top of a template JSP in this case):

<%@ page contentType="text/html;charset=UTF-8" language="java"%> and this line in the
Action class:

response.setContentType("text/html; charset=UTF-8");

This is fine, but it won't submit and maintain (show on page again) Russian text when
entered in e.g. a Struts Text Area

In order to get submitted text working I've also done the following:

Inserted the following in web.xml:

<context-param>
      <param-name>weblogic.httpd.inputCharset./*</param-name>
      <param-value>windows-1251</param-value>
</context-param>

and having the following line at the top of the JSP page (NB, not at the top of the
template as above)

<%@ page contentType="text/html;charset=windows-1251" language="java"%> and

response.setContentType("text/html; charset=windows-1251");

The problem is that both will not work together. I've seen solutions that utilise
HttpServletRequest.setCharacterEncoding(), but I can't use that as we're stuck with
Weblogic 5.1 which only uses EE1.2.1. I've also seen the use of filters but they
utilise the Servlet2.3 spec too.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated. Getting both working but not together is a
bit maddening as you can imagine!

Software used:

Weblogic 5.1
Struts 1.0.2