From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 2:59 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: RE: Struts officially supported at Ford

I agree here -

The typical big company response would've been to build their own custom
framework from the ground up. The fact that they chose to start with Struts
shows they put a good deal of thought into it and trusted the quality of
the work. It's very likely that they had internal projects be successful
using Struts and then ramped it up as a standard. I'm sure they did a great
deal of testing on it and had some camps pulling to build something custom.
There were likely other competing frameworks as well.

This is one of the greatest strengths of Open Source - as a large company
you can take the app and customize to your internal environment. For
example:

 - You could create abstract 'model' components that standardize they way
people throughout the company perform database access (or web sevice
access).

 - You could customize it to provide a standard method of acquiring and
storing user credentials so that all applications manage user information
the same way.

 - You could implement plug-ins to perform custom and standardized logging
(assuming there is a standard logging process already in place).

The possibilities are endless -

I'll bet anything this is not the last time we here of a Fortune 500
company adopting Struts for intrnal development.

             "Craig R. McClanahan"             To: Struts Users Mailing List
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>             cc: (bcc: Kevin
Bedell/Systems/USHO/SunLife)
             01/23/2003 02:18 PM               Subject:  RE: Struts officially
supported at Ford
             Please respond to "Struts

             Users Mailing List"

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Karr, David wrote:

> It's certainly good that they're using 1.1, but somewhat unfortunate
> that they stopped at b2.  There were numerous fixes put in after b2,
> including the entire Struts-EL contribution.  Hopefully they can upgrade
> their support pretty quickly.

Don't give them too hard a time about this.

It's absolutely appropriate for organizations responsible for mission
critical software to be conservative in their version choices -- and every
such organization I'm familiar with puts any potential new version through
very extensive testing (for example, against existing apps or against any
in house customizations they did to the previous version) before putting
their stamp of approval on it.  Struts 1.1b3 hasn't been out long enough
to go through a cycle like that -- and, if I were in their shoes, given
the timing, I'd probably just skip certifying b3 and go certify 1.1 final.

What I'm very pleased about, though, is that Ford "gets it" in a different
respsect -- they didn't consider "beta" to be a four-letter word :-).

Craig

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
For additional commands, e-mail: <
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>