I am using Struts 1.0.2 with Tomcat 4.1.12 running on IIS 4.0 web server.

I have a header.jsp and footer.jsp pages which gets a header and footer,
from another machine using a URLConnection, that I want to show on all of my
pages in my application.  In my application jsp pages, I am using the
<template:put...> tag, where the content is the path for the header or
footer.  This used to work fine with Struts, and Tomcat 3.0.2 running on IIS
4.0, but I am getting an error with Tomcat 4.1.12.  The header and footer do
not show up - I get a null returned, rather than the content from the
URLConnection.

I get an exception that says: Illegal character(s) in message header value:
<titl

If I try to call header.jsp or footer.jsp directly in my browser, then I see
them fine - it is only when I try to use the Struts tag to insert them that
I am getting this problem.

I have traced it down to method call to an object of type URLConnection:
        urlConn.setRequestProperty( header, value );

This is where the exception is thrown, but I can't figure out why it is
happening only with Struts with Tomcat 4.1.12.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Sushrut