This is the way I set "default values" to my JPSs, so that I never need
scriptlet code to initialyze them and keep them as simple as possible.

I suggest using this workflow :

HTTP request
 -> struts populate formbean
  -> action (does some business logic, puts some beans in request/session)
   -> forward to prepareAction (pre-populate formbean)
    -> JSP (maps input fields to formBean)

3rd stage can be done by a dedicated JSP tag too.

Nico.