Sory, I didn't well understand what you're looking for.

You can create a servlet that looks for authentified user's session,
user pathInfo to find the name of a ressource, looks for it in
WEB-INF, and put it's content as binary in the response.

Add a mapping to this servlet like "/images/*" -> servlet

When an authentified user looks for "/images/foo/bar.gif" your servlet
will have to search for /foo/bar.gif in WEB-INF and send it's binary
content as response (with correct content-type header)

Nico.