Hi,

If you use your own defined Item class, you can disable the xml validation to add your extra properties (set the appropriate option in the TilesPlugin).
Also, you can use the <bean> tag instead of <item>:
<bean classname="...">
<set-property property="..." value="... "/>
<set-property property=" ..." value="... "/>
</bean>

Maybe we should add the <set-property ...> tag to the <item> tag ?

Cedric

Dan Allen wrote:

I took the lead of Cedric when he made his SimpleMenuItem and I
extended it to make a SimpleMenuActionItem with the following
layout:

<item text="Home" action="/Home" classtype="net.creativerge.bean.SimpleMenuActionItem"/>

However, now I am getting DTD parse errors all over the place.  It
seems sort of lame to have to worry about DTD issues if you want to
extend and make your own custom tag.  But I guess such is life with
XML.  So I can do one of two things at this point.  I can create my
SimpleMenuActionItem using the original attributes and just have a
non-intuitive mapping between the two (the attribute name and what
it actually does) or I can modify the DTD for my new item set.
However, if i modify the DTD I have no idea where to put it or how
to reference it (okay, so I lack some XML knowledge).  However, I
thought it was a pretty good idea, seeing how struts should always
make internal links action links, to make a SimpleMenuActionItem.  I
also felt that the attribute "text" was more intuitive for the
contents between the link than "value" since the other option is
"icon"

my proposal for the DTD is as follows:

+ add an attribute "action" which, when used in place of "link" will
reference a struts action

+ change "value" to "text" to counter the "icon"

I could be just talking crazy here, but it seems like a good idea to
me.  Perhaps we could excite some interest in defining how to extend
the items list a bit better.

Dan