honestly, it depends upon your approach.

if you see transformation from callback perspectives, they should be part of
presentation later (may be as part of the taglibs) but if you have servlets
that does generates the XML as well as XSL then runs the
XMLTransformer.transform() (could be filtered) then it should be 1 layer
above presentation.....correct me if i am wrong.

navjot