I am on a page. There are a list of pdf files on the page. If a user
clicks on a pdf file, I want him to be redirected to a login page if he
is not logged in.
However this doesnt seem to be happening even with filters. Does the
click on a pdf file not recognized as a request?

Verify that the PDF is part of the webapp, and is being served by Tomcat. Also verify that the "web.xml" file specifies that the filter should be processing requests for the ".pdf" suffix. Often filters are configured to only process requests routed to servlets or JSP's.

John