From: Sergey Smirnov [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2003 12:52 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: Validator

Common mistake is: You forgot something or misspelt something. Week ago I
sent condition set you need to satisfy to make common validator working. It
is bellow.

For example, we have a very simple jsp form and
want to use standard server-side validator 'required' for one form field.
Actually, it might vary, but to do so you have:

1) Resource (.properties) file with keys/values for standard validators (at
least - errors.required)
2) struts-config file should contain the reference to this resource file for
message-resources node
3) struts-config plug-in node should contain
className="org.apache.struts.validator.ValidatorPlugIn"
4) this plugin should have set-property with name pathnames that corresponds
to validator files (such as /WEB-INF/validator-rules.xml and
/WEB-INF/validation.xml)
5) validation.xml should contain form with name corresponds to form-bean
name
6) the form should have a field with property that corresponds to field name
we want to validate
7) this field should have a 'depends' attribute that corresponds to
validator name mentioned in /WEB-INF/validator-rules.xml (in our case - with
name 'required')
8) this field should have an arg0 node which attribute key corresponds to
existing key in resource file
9) form bean should inherit org.apache.struts.validator.ValidatorForm class
10) form bean validate should call validate method of super class
11) 'input' attribute of action should reference to jsp page with validated
form
12) jsp page should contains <html:errors /> (or its substitute)

Regards,
Sergey Smirnov
Exadel Struts Studio - IDE for Struts
http://www.exadel.com/strutsStudio