My solution, which is perhaps not the most efficient memory-wise, is to simply put it
in (and retrieve it from) the session rather than the request. Then when I do go
through the populating action, if this is a list that is liable to change often I
reload it from the database. If it is a fairly static list I just check if it's
already there and do nothing if it is. I guess an even better solution (for a
general-usage list) would be to put it in the application-wide context, so you load it
once for all users (if it's really very static). That solves the memory usage issue,
and even if it's non-static you can work around the problem by making sure that you
reload the list application-wide whenever it is changed.

--
If education is too expensive, try ignorance.