Ok, I haven't dug in my heals to figure this out myself.  I downloaded
jgs-struts-0.2-dev.jar, then configured my plugin:

  <plug-in className="com.jgsullivan.struts.plugins.DigestingPlugIn">
    <set-property property="configPath" value="/WEB-INF/config.xml"/>
    <set-property property="configSource" value="servlet"/>
    <set-property property="digesterPath" value="digester-menu.xml"/>
    <set-property property="digesterSource" value="classpath"/>
    <set-property property="key" value="MENUS_KEY"/>
  </plug-in>

....works fine.

I'm using the 1.1 final jar, so I simply added your new file to my own
project.

Now when I change the className from....

"com.jgsullivan.struts.plugins.DigestingPlugIn" to
"org.apache.struts.plugins.DigestingPlugIn"

....it fails and causes my app to be unavailable.

I'm not looking for a fix just yet.  I just thought you should know.

--
James Mitchell
Software Engineer / Struts Evangelist