thanx guys for all the input, i'm sure I'll come up with something, with all the emails

-----Original Message-----
From: Hue Holleran [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 11:36 AM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: RE: [OT] A date utility? anyone, pls help

I read a lot about "BigDate" - but it's shareware @ $10, I think. Never had
to use it myself but here's the link:

        http://mindprod.com/jgloss/bigdate.html#BIGDATE

There is also a very good tutorial on dates (see "Computer Dating" link),
here:

        http://java.sun.com/people/linden/intro.html

Specifically for what you're asking "... the number of years between 2
dates?" (are you sure you mean years?) try this:

        java.lang.Math.abs(
myDate1.getTime()-myDate2.getTime() )/1000/3600/24/365.25

i.e. get abs difference in millisecs and convert to years - but your version
of a year may vary (i.e. you may consider 365 to be a year)!

BTW to setup date values for testing try the following code:

        java.text.DateFormat df = new java.text.SimpleDateFormat( "yyyy.MMM.dd" );
        try {
                java.util.Date myDate1 = df.parse("1971.OCT.02");
                java.util.Date myDate2 = df.parse("1987.JAN.09");
                System.out.println( java.lang.Math.abs(
myDate1.getTime()-myDate2.getTime() )/1000/3600/24/365.25 );
        } catch (Exception ex) {
                System.out.println( ex.toString() );
        }

Hue.