Thank you for your reply.  I am using container
managed authentication.

My problem is "how to go from j_security_check back to
my Struts framework."

I have my Tomcat JDBCRealm configured and users,
user_roles tables prepared in the database.

In my struts-config.xml file, I did this forward when
users click on the LOGON button:

     <forward
        name="logon"
        path="/signin/logon.jsp"/>

and in my web.xml file, I have:

<login-config>
 <auth-method>FORM</auth-method>
 <form-login-config>
  <form-login-page>/signin/logon.jsp</form-login-page>

<form-error-page>/signin/logon.jsp?error=true</form-error-page>
 </form-login-config>
</login-config>

The Tomcat server found the signinForm.jsp through the
/signin/logon.jsp without problem.

and my signinForm.jsp is correctly prepared:

<%@ taglib uri="/tags/struts-html" prefix="html" %>
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Container Managed Authentication</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
focus="j_username">
<TABLE border="0" width="100%">
<TR>
<TH align="right">User Name:</TH>
<TD align="left"><html:text property="j_username"
size="25"/></TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<TH align="right">Password:</TH>
<TD align="left"><html:password property="j_password"
size="10"/></TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<TD align="right"><html:submit/></TD>