As far as I can tell, there is no easy way to do this.

In theory, you could provide your own URLStreamHandlerFactory, that sets an
appropriate timeout on the underlying Socket, then pass it in to the URL
constructor, but this would be a non-trivial solution.

HTH,
Ian

Ian D. Stewart
Open Systems Engineer II
Enterprise Midrange - Bank One Infrastructure & Operations
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(614) 244-2564

"Stefan Trcko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 10/14/2003 06:02:49 AM

      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

cc:

Subject:  java.net.URL

Hello

I'm using java.net.URL to get content from other web site.
The problem is when this url address which I want to open (openConnection
())
is very slow. When this happens I want that some kind of time out exception
is thrown
(and the content of this other web site on my site is not shown).
How to check that the url cannot be open in for example 2 seconds (and
after this 2 second throw an time out exception)

Regards
Stefan

This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or
exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the
information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
If you received this transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and
destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank
you.