Switzerland is a very good example of this.  There are four different
languages spoken there (French, German, Italian, and a local language whose
name escapes me) and the prevelant language varies from kanton to kanton.

Even here in the US, there is an increasing number of communities where
Spanish is as prevalent as English.

Ian

Ian D. Stewart
Open Systems Engineer II
Enterprise Midrange - Bank One Infrastructure & Operations
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(614) 244-2564

"Craig R. McClanahan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 10/20/2003 12:34:05 PM

      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

cc:

Subject:  Re: Localization with Struts/Tiles and URLs

Ruth, Brice wrote:

> [snip]
> On the first point, our site will have a global landing page that will
> present the user with flags to choose their locale.

This is semi-offtopic, but might be of interest.

When I worked on a large scale multi-lingual app in Europe a few years
ago, my intent was to do exactly this (but with a tweak -- the landing
page language was determined by the browser's default language
setting).  However, I was informed by more than a few Europeans that
using flags for language choice was not being culturally sensitive -- if
I'm a French-speaking person living in Belgium or Switzerland, it's
going to irritate me greatly to have to click the flag of France -- and
it's not a 1:1 relationship for any multilingual country (as these two,
among others, are).

Craig

This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or
exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the
information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
If you received this transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and
destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank
you.