In Struts 1.1, the default file upload mechanism *is* Commons FileUpload.
;-)

It seems that you may have omitted to tell the browser explicitly that your
pages are in UTF-8. For some reason that I've never fully understood, that
causes the browser to use UTF-8 when it submits subsequent requests from
that page. Make sure that you use a <meta> element in your <head> to specify
UTF-8.

--
Martin Cooper

"Paul Barry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> I think you are correct.  When I was looking at the packets and seeing two
characters, it is actually the characters
> that are equal to the 2 bytes that make up the single UTF-8 character.  I
thought the browser was somehow not correctly
> encoding my data, because it was turning 1 character into 2 characters,
but actually it is UTF-8 encoding my character
> correctly.  So I think if I use something to read the data and convert it
from UTF-8 to Unicode, I will get the correct
> data on the server.
>
> So from reading the documentation about FileUpload, that seems to be the
way to go, but now my question is how to
> integrate FileUpload with struts?  My thought would be to call a method to
populate an ActionForm in the beginning of my
> action, and then use that ActionForm instead of the one I get from the
requestProcessor.  So like this:

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/fileupload/apidocs/org/apache/commons/fileupload/FileUploadBase.html