I tend to stick to using plain old actions rather than extending tile action for tiles stuff..

You can forward to your definitions.

<action path="/process" ..
        <forward name="success"  path="mytiledef.success" />
        ..

This way you don't need to store anything in a properties file, just in tiles-defs and struts config.

Cheers Mark