First, check out a tutorial on Servlet 2.3 filters. One at:

http://java.sun.com/j2ee/tutorial/1_3-fcs/doc/Servlets8.html

Essentially, it'll boil down to creating two classes: a filter (implements
javax.servlet.Filter) and a response wrapper (extends
javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponseWrapper). Then, you'll need to add
<filter> and <filter-mapping> elements to web.xml.

How would you determine if a request originated from your search engine?
User-Agent header? Specific request parameter?

D.O.Tech       <http://www.dotech.com/>