I think the point is that, wherever it wound up, the "usual" config
brought it along for the ride, but you raise an interesting point --
does validator-rules.xml need to go there (again like the book said) or
are you saying that's wrong too? One way or another, errata is needed.

I think youre mistaken about something though. Without googling, reading
a book, or asking here, what set of thoughts would have made that
particular factoid clear to a new struts user?