Have you got struts-el.jar in WEB-INF/lib? If you're using EL, that implies
you're also using (at least) a JSP 1.2 container. In which case, you don't need
the <taglib> element in web.xml and you don't need a separate TLD file. Just use
the "well-known" URI in the directive:

<%@ taglib prefix="c"
           uri="http://java.sun.com/jstl/core"; %>
<%@ taglib prefix="html"