Couple of questions:

Are the Struts and supporting JAR files installed in your app's WEB-INF/lib or
someplace else like $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib?

Are you intentionally using JSTL 1.0? With TC 5, you probably want JSTL 1.1.

How are you doing your deployment/update? For example, are you copying WAR files
or using TC Ant tasks or...?