Hi, I think that we are in different time zones.

As you have mentioned, I, too, suspected that the
statement in my JSP:

request.getRemoteUser();

returns nothing.  Therefore, I did a test in my JSP.
In addition to request.getRemoteUser(); I created
another String manually:

<req:isUserInRole role="editor">
<%
   String username = request.getRemoteUser();
   String userrole = "author";
%>
<% out.println("The user name is: " + username +".");
%>
<% out.println("The role is: " + userrole +"."); %>
</req:isUserInRole>

And the browser shows:

The user name is: Gloria Jen.  The role is: author.

Gloria Jen is the name that I provided while logging
on and authenticated by the container.  Therefore, the
request.getRemoteUser(); does not return a null.  And
I hope that it means I am not passing a null value
when I use the hidden field technique.

Then, I pass two hidden fields (with value in them)
from my JSP to a Java class (FindEditorData.java),
which is of scaffold.ProcessAction type.  One of the
field is passed with its value correctly retrieved.
The other field is passed with its value found to be
null.

What could go wrong?  I have been thinking about it
for days and so do those who try to help me.

<req:isUserInRole role="editor">
<%
   String username = request.getRemoteUser();
   String userrole = "author";
%>
<%out.println("The user name is: " + username +".");%>
<%out.println("The role is: " + userrole +".");%>
value="journal_category"/>
value="<%=username%>"/>
</req:isUserInRole>

-Caroline
--- "Yee, Richard K,,DMDCWEST"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Caroline,
> Imposible? Look at the HTML that is generated by the
> JSP page. I think you
> will see that it returns "null".
> Take a look at the JavaDoc for
> HttpServletRequest.getRemoteUser();
>
> getRemoteUser
> public java.lang.String getRemoteUser()
> Returns the login of the user making this request,
> if the user has been
> authenticated, or null if the user has not been
> authenticated. Whether the
> user name is sent with each subsequent request
> depends on the browser and
> type of authentication. Same as the value of the CGI
> variable REMOTE_USER.
>
> Returns: a String specifying the login of the user
> making this request, or
> null
>
> As the JavaDoc says: "Whether the user name is sent
> with each subsequent
> request depends on the browser and type of
> authentication."  Are you using
> basic authentication or are you authenticating the
> user yourself?
> If you are doing it yourself (ie. through a db
> lookup) then the server
> doesn't know about the user being authenticated and
> will return null.
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard

parameter="org.apache.artimus.article.FindEditorData"

=== message truncated ===