This is probably what you are looking for:

http://www.anassina.com/struts/i18n/i18n.html

The main point here is it tells the browser that the content is UTF-8 instead of the default Latin-1 encoding. It also includes the filter you used earlier to tell java/servlet that it should expect UTF-8 encoded content from forms.

Gus Heck wrote:

Well after a little poking around, I discovered that it was the browser's fault. Setting the character encoding that the browser is using allows it to send the character without & escaping it, but then one has to also set the encoding when viewing it later. I am wondering if there is a way to support the full range of characters in unicode without having to set the encoding... The app I am building will not be internationalized, but we may want to store some international names and places in the DB and it would be nice if they could display correctly rather than resorting to anglecized spellings, which might be annoying to some people who's names or addresses will be mis-spelled.

Anyone know how to do this?

Gus Heck wrote:

programs fits because they contain a capital dotted I which looks like this: I. (set your encoding to Turkish if necessary to view it, it should look like a capital i with a dot above it)

heh it seems to give my mailer fits too, as it got converted to I with a period after it.... :)

Jason Lea