an option will only be selected by default if the form property has been set to a value or there is a match in an available scope (like a parameter with the same name as the form property). Otherwise it will just do its thing.

I'd use a simple action without a formbean for something like a navigation menu

<form action="<c:url value="/process.do" />" method="POST">
<select name="id" ...

String id = request.getParameter("id").toString();
get the values out of the parameter map as you would with a plain old servlet.

but nothing wrong with using an action form, especially for consistency.

Cheers Mark