not sure if this matters, but my oracle jar is in common/lib instead of shared/lib. I'm not familiar with the differences/uses of common and shared, but that's how mine works.
-Ben

From: "Ed Dowgiallo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Oracle DataSource configuration
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 11:12:11 -0500

I'm running into the following exception when issuing a getConnection to an Oracle DataSource.

SQLException: Cannot create JDBC driver of class '' for connect URL 'null'

It has the following definition in a Tomcat 4.1.29 server.xml file.

<Resource name="Library" auth="Container" scope="Shareable" type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>

</ResourceParams>

<ResourceParams name="Library">

<parameter>

<name>factory</name>

</parameter>

<parameter>

<name>driverClassName</name>

</parameter>

<parameter>

<name>url</name>

<value>jdbc:oracle:thin:@192.168.0.202:1521:tpeds002</value>

</parameter>

<parameter>

<name>username</name>

<value>abc</value>

</parameter>

<parameter>

<name>password</name>

<value>xyz</value>

</parameter>

<parameter>

<name>maxActive</name>

<value>25</value>

</parameter>

<parameter>

<name>maxIdle</name>

<value>10</value>

</parameter>

<parameter>

<name>maxWait</name>

<value>-1</value>

</parameter>

</ResourceParams>

I have setup the following resource-ref in the applications web.xml file.

  <resource-ref>
    <description>Oracle DataSource</description>
    <res-ref-name>Library</res-ref-name>
    <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
  </resource-ref>

The JDBC library is a class12.jar file in the Tomcat shared/lib directory.

Comments and suggestions are most welcome.

Thank you,

Ed