I've got a tag that works in this way:

<x71:comboselect name="tiposCtaMon"
metadata="idTipoCuenta,tipoCuenta,idMoneda,moneda">
</x71:comboselect>

tiposCtaMon is a collection of objects with properties descripted in
metadata attribute.

The collection may be like:
idTipoCuenta    tipoCuenta      idMoneda        moneda
1                       CC              1               $
1                       CC              2               U$S
2                       CA              1               $
2                       CA              2               U$S

With this collection and these attributes, an internal tree is created
and javascript is generated to fill the nested combos.

I extend SelectTag from struts to notify ComboSelectTag an instance of
this select.

This is really usefull for us. If you want the code, please contact me.

Cheers.
Guillermo.