I have a an interesting issue which at first blush doesn't seem solvable but
could be a bug in struts 1.1 or my use of struts.

I have a partially implemented struts application which is using filters for
security (not the sourceforge security filter).  I used to issue a 401
error, have the container trap the error and forward to the logon page.
That worked fairly well with tomcat 4.1.18.  I had a testsuite in
Struts-Test, HttpUnit and WebTest which was working reasonably well.

I updated to tomcat 4.1.29 which passes the http 401 error to the page, with
the actual login page.  This causes failures in HttpUnit and WebTest which
assume a 401 error is a Basic Authentication Error.  I thought about
throwing / catching other errors but have not completed tests.

The sourceforge security filter just does a RequestDispatcher forward to the
login page.  This works fine on straight jsp pages.  However on struts pages
there is some additional processing and something (I have not yet figured
out) from struts gets put in the response so that there is an
IllegalStateException thrown when the filter performs the forward.
Additionally, response.redirect has the same issue.

The only struts log messages have to do with PropertyMessageResources, which
are not there for both straight JSP and struts resources.  Does anyone know
what in struts could be writing to the response or where to start looking?

Thanks in advance.

Edgar

---