Fixed this by changing the order in the xml file. Now my class
EnvironmentRequestProcessor extends TilesRequestProcessor because I am using
Tiles also. But this code

        protected ActionForward processActionPerform( HttpServletRequest request,

       HttpServletResponse response,
                                    Action action,

           ActionForm form,

       ActionMapping mapping )
          throws IOException,
ServletException {
        if( mapping != null && mapping.getName() != null ){
                System.out.println( "The action mapping is " +
mapping.getName().toString() );
        }

        ActionForward forward = super.processActionPerform(
request,response,action,form,   mapping);

returns null. I was planning to do something based on which mapping it is.

Help appreciated.

Mohan