Hi!
My $0.02 on this.
As a design, it is best if we let the db throw exception and we handle it using ActionError/ActionMessage in the Action file.
I feel it is better that way. Then, you can formulate the page using <html:errors/> and the application.resources .
This is my understanding.
I am willing to learn though.

Richie