First when debuging javascript alert boxes are handy.

alert(this.form,'<%= val %>')

or

alert(this.form,'<c:out value="${val}" />')

or on tc 5

alert(this.form,'${val}')

if that does what you want start debuging the functions by using alert boxes.

function myfunction(form,val) {
        alert(form.name);
        alert(val);
}

onclick="myfunction(this.form,'<%= val %>')"

if you use double quotes like you seem to be you may have to escape them, generally easier to use ' rather than " when calling functions in the html (in the actual script I prefer to stick to " as more readable).

and so on. You should get to the bottom of your problem soon enough.