A long time ago, Craig McClanahan wrote:
> It is a common misconception that the public identifiers of a DTD like
> this *must* actually be working URLs [...].
> They are just unique strings of characters that
> (often) happen to look like URLs.
> Blame the XML community for that :-).

And then Yuan Saul asked:
> If a local copy of DTD is not available, then an Internet connection
is
> required, in this case, does the URI has to be pointing to a working
URL
> where the DTD file can be retrieved?

Which is also my question, but there is no reply in the archives.
Anyone?

Today we got a note from campus IT saying that they believed some
problems in their J2EE apps were related to "code that connects to
http://java.sun.com behind-the-scenes to download various DTD files
related to parsing XML documents."

In addition to whether it happens at all (going out to the internet to
retrieve the DTD) I'm also curious if it's the XML parser, or the
Servlet container, etc.  What component would make the call out to get
the DTD?

I've always wondered...

--
Wendy Smoak